Oliver Plunkett Morahan was born on the 13th of November 1921, the third Son of Sean T. Morahan who hailed from Castlebar and Bridget (nee Ball) from Ballyhip, Louisburgh. He was indentured to Michael J. Egan Solicitor in Castlebar and he cycled the 50 mile round trip on a regular basis from his home in Louisburgh.
Oliver qualified as a solicitor in the Trinity Sittings in 1947 and set up his firm initially in Louisburgh and subsequently at the South Mall in Westport in premises leased to him by the late Jack Mc Greevy. As the firm expanded
he moved to larger offices forming part of the Railway Hotel on the North Mall in Westport.
In the 1960s he opened a sub office at Market Square in Castlebar, where the Credit Union offices are now located. Later on in the decade, Joseph Gill, a Westport colleague retired from business and Oliver acquired this practice. As the Westport office became busier the Castlebar office was closed with a view to concentrating on Westport.
In 1974 Oliver’s eldest son John joined the firm as an apprentice and John took over as Principal in 1983 after Oliver retired due to ill health. John built upon the practice he inherited and in 1999 he was joined by his brother Gerard who was a Legal Executive with many years experience acquired in Reidy Stafford Solicitors Naas.
Johns eldest Son Dermot Morahan qualified as a solicitor in 2006 having finished his apprenticeship with Martin E. Marren & Co., Solicitors, Northumberland Road, Dublin 4 and also joined the firm followed by his brother Fintan Morahan who qualified in 2009 having finished his apprenticeship with Gilmartin, Murphy & Co., Solicitors in Kiltimagh.
Today the firm continues to supply legal services covering a wide area of law to clients covering a wide geographical area from Clifden/Maam/Leenane in the South to Belmullet, Ballycroy and Achill Island in the North. It also extends legal services to other parts of the West and indeed to persons spread throughout the Globe.